Saturday, November 21, 2009

November 20

It's getting a little weird seeing the connections between anniversaries in my life and TDP readings. For instance, on my wedding anniversary, I'm warned not to be like David in his indiscretion with Uriah's wife. At least yesterday's connection was much more positive, what with Matthew 28 being the reading and November 20 being the day years ago that the Church obeyed our Lord's command, and made me to be a disciple in the Name of the Trinity by water and the Word. I read Psalm 118 twice through, once with my Baptismal anniversary in mind and once through the lens of Christ's resurrection. In either case, "This is the gate of the LORD; the righteous shall enter through it" (v. 20).

The only bummer? It felt a little redundant praying the collect for the "Anniversary of a Baptism" after praying the collect for November 20.

btw, I already loved the hymn "God's Own Child, I Gladly Say It" (LSB 594) - but now even more now that I've seen it as an expansion of "It works forgiveness of sins, rescues from death and the devil, and gives eternal life to all who believe this..." (Luther's Small Catechism)

No comments:

Post a Comment