Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February 2 - Writing

a member who has TDP asked me this morning about turtles. I'm guessing 1) Cyril had a corrupted Greek mss and 2) he didn't know Leviticus well. But it still bugs me. Though I do love how he then sees Christ in the Song of Songs passage. Would that more people could see Christ in the Old Testament like that.

oh, and I thank the Lord that He has given me such Biblically literate members who would know that sacrificing a turtle would not be kosher!

UPDATE - my dictionary, in the second definition of "turtle", says it is an archaic way of saying "turtledove" (which is what Pr. Weedon said.) Glad to know that Cyril didn't get it wrong.

3 comments:

  1. Pr. Weedon informs me that "turtle" is just a nice abbreviation for "turtledove", fwiw

    ReplyDelete
  2. it raised a few curious eyebrows here yesterday at Matins also. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. another possibility (and I'm not comfortable with any of them so far, but fwiw) - the English translator got Cyril's greek wrong

    ReplyDelete