Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Psalmody

yesterday's and today's have stuck out in my mind. Psalm 1 serves as a good doorway to the 149 that follow, encouraging us not to scoff, but to delight in the torah (instruction) of the Lord.

Psalm 38 from yesterday is a great follow up (a reminder even) to Sunday's prayer of the father from the Gospel (in LSB 3 Year) - "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief." David is weighed down by guilt (though his words could describe the physical anguish of depression, grief, excessive anger, etc.) David is able to be honest with himself before God about how much it hurts (not that God needs to be told - David's longings and sighings are not hidden from God, so He does not need to hear it, but David (and you and me) need to speak it. At Doxology, Dr. Kleinig reminded us that God invites us to dump our anger on God.)
Just as it seems the darkest - with light, friends and companions all gone - there is still hope. Just when it feels like I will be overwhelmed with sorrow, faithlessness, hopelessness, and think that I am no longer simul justus et peccator, but only 100% unbeliever, faithful words are put into my mouth: "For you, O LORD, do I wait; it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer."

Lord, though sometimes I question whether I have any faith left at all, Your Word reminds me that in Truth I do believe. Help my unbelief. Deliver me from the Evil One, who desires to rejoice over my foot slipping.

2 comments:

  1. James,

    Great idea to have a blog discussing the daily TDP readings! I will plan to check in regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,
    nice to have you on. I can't promise daily posts, especially considering my track record for the last month. But I do have a renewed interest in posting more regularly.

    ReplyDelete