Wednesday, June 24, 2009

June 24 - John 20

so much that could be said - has been said - about this passage. I'll keep it to two today:
  1. "Blessed are those who have not seen [Me] and yet have believed” (John 20:29). I used to think that Jesus meant we would receive all sorts of blessings after believing in Him even though we haven't yet seen Him face to face. Eventually I was taught to see that as too narrow a view, for in order for us to believe, we must first be blessed by God. Without His blessing, we were His enemies, dead, opposed to His things, could not accept them, etc. See Matthew 16:17, Romans 5:6-11, Ephesians 2:1-10, 1 Corinthians 2:14, 1 Corinthians 12:3.
  2. "Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name" (v. 30-31). This verse has helped to calm my curiousity about what happened with Jesus between birth and adulthood. I only need to know that during those years He was tempted like I am in every way, yet was without sin (Hebrews 4:15) - I don't need to know any specifics beyond that, for those details aren't important for me to know salvation.

Lord, open up the Scriptures to us, even as your Spirit opens up our hearts to that same Word through Your Son. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment